May 26, 2023
You need a native app! That’s what we’ve been told since Apple and Google announced their app stores.
Sure, depending on your organization’s needs, a native app is the solution if you want to have sophisticated apps such as games or design applications that require much of a user’s phone’s physical equipment to function. But what if you don’t need anything crazy but simply need an app to deliver your content to your customers while keeping development budget low? What if you don’t want to spend thousands of dollars making separate apps for Android and iPhone, avoiding the hussle of listing them in app stores? This is where Progress Web Apps (sometimes referred to as PWAs) shine.
Progressive Web Apps were introduced in 2015, initially designed for the Chrome browser as “Installable web apps” but later supporting all other major web browsers. PWAs combine the best features of the web with capabilities previously only available to native apps. Think of PWA as a hybrid between a website and a native app. PWAs feel and function like a native mobile app but they are actually inside a web browser, eliminating the need to develop an installable app for android and iPhone. They have most features of a native app such as offline content, fullscreen experience and homepage icon.
The Benefits of Using PWAs
- Improved User Experience: PWAs offer a seamless and engaging user experience similar to native mobile apps. They load quickly, respond smoothly, and provide an app-like interface, enabling businesses to deliver a superior user experience to their customers.
- Increased Reach: PWAs can be accessed through a web browser, making them accessible to users across different platforms and devices, including desktops, smartphones, and tablets. This wider reach allows businesses to connect with a larger audience and potentially increase their customer base.
- Offline Functionality: One of the key advantages of PWAs is their ability to work offline or with limited connectivity. They can cache data and content, enabling users to access and interact with the app even without an internet connection. This feature is especially beneficial for businesses operating in areas with unreliable internet access or for applications that rely on real-time data.
- Cost Efficiency: Developing and maintaining a separate native app for different platforms (iOS, Android, etc.) can be costly and time-consuming. PWAs eliminate the need for multiple app versions, as they can be accessed through a web browser, saving businesses significant development and maintenance costs.
- Faster Deployment: Unlike native apps, PWAs do not require approval from app stores. Businesses can deploy updates and new features instantly without going through the lengthy app store review process. This agility allows businesses to iterate quickly, respond to user feedback, and stay ahead of the competition.
- Discoverability and SEO: PWAs are discoverable by search engines and can be indexed, making them more visible to potential customers through organic search results. By optimizing the PWA for search engine optimization (SEO) best practices, businesses can improve their online visibility and attract more visitors.
- Reduced Friction: PWAs eliminate the need for users to go through the process of downloading and installing an app from an app store. Users can simply access the PWA through a URL, reducing friction and increasing the likelihood of user engagement.
- Push Notifications: PWAs can leverage push notifications to engage users and deliver personalized content or updates. These notifications can be used for various purposes, such as sending promotions, announcing new features, or reminding users of abandoned carts, helping businesses increase customer engagement and retention.
- Analytics and Insights: PWAs can provide detailed analytics and insights into user behavior, allowing businesses to gather valuable data on how users interact with the app. This data can be used to make data-driven decisions, optimize user experiences, and enhance business strategies.
Read more here to find out about how Progressive Web Apps can drive business success
RainMaker Marketing has years of experience developing PWAs. So, if someone is recommending you need to build an app, contact RainMaker for a PWA quote that will save you money, improve your digital presence, improve user experience, increase customer engagement and give you better results. Get a Quote or email us at email@example.com today!